The pastor talked about being a "sprawling, transcendental, postmodern" preacher. And reading an author who was a "sprawling, transcendental, postmodern" writer, who wrote the book Velvet Elvis. It's a book that I bought last Spring, at Annual Conference, but never got around to reading.
So, I took it off the shelf and made it my Lent do-something-more-thing.
- Country music radio in the gas station
- Getting the steering wheel wave on the hiway
- Needing to use the hi-beams at night
- Driving out into the boonies, where you can see all of the stars, to eat fish caught on a frozen lake and home grown squash and listen and call in to community radio with people who love me for no good reason.
- Parking spaces and no traffic
- Bringing home Mom's tomato sauce, rhubarb sauce, and corn from last summer's garden.
That's why I drive four hours each way for one night.