adapted from allrecipes.com
* 1 medium sugar pumpkin
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups evaporated milk
* 4 eggs, beaten
* 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts (I use frozen crust dough and roll it out.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Slice pumpkin in half and clean out all seeds and strings from inside. Place cut side down onto a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes. Once done, scrape the pumpkin from the skins, then beat with a mixer or puree in a food processor until smooth. This can also be done the night before.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Mix the sugar, nutmeg, ginger, salt, evaporated milk and eggs with the pumpkin puree. Pour mixture into two 9 inch pie crusts.
- Roll out the crust and transfer it to the pie tins. Trim the excess with a knife or kitchen scissors.
- Take care transferring the filled pies to the oven they will be very full. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes on foil lined cookie sheets. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool and refrigerate.