For you folks that need some inspiration to hang pictures, Design Sponge posted her favorite "gallery walls" from homes she's featured on her blog. http://tinyurl.com/2uaxdul This is my preferred way to display art, but it's too much for some. Maybe just one wall in the bathroom?
I was shocked to hear that my friends and family don't know what or where to put on their walls!
- My tips are:
- Don't think of it as permanent. I switch out photos from frames all the time. Who cares if there are a couple holes in the wall, where you moved something. No one will notice.
- Don't worry if the frames don't line up perfectly. Again, no one will notice. I'm more of an eye-ball-it kind of gal. However, I'm blessed with a semi-perfectionist nail pounder who relies on his tape measure and level. So, I kind of lucked out.
- Don't pay full price for frames. Prior to being married I was a Target end-cap clearance maven. Thus, I have more frames than I need (and more than my husband wanted to move). Unless it is awesome art that you purchased, don't get a custom frame. Something from Ikea will probably do just as well. (I cheated a bit on this recently.)
- Just put up stuff you like. Love your pet? Put their face on the wall. Love your cocktails? Take a picture at your next happy hour. Miss the view from your parent's backyard? Put it in a frame. I also like the idea of scanning old photos and having them reprinted. You've got to have some picture that you took that you like.
- Put a few together. I generally don't print photographs bigger than 8x10 because the prints and frames are expensive. However, one doesn't really fill up a wall, so do a block of 4 or a line of 3.
- Online photo resources are your friend. Personally, I prefer Flickr because they keep the original size of my photo, I can share it online, I can edit online (if needed) and order online through snapfish. P.S. Snapfish is your friend too, $.09 per 4x6 print. Yes, please.
- Etsy is your friend. I want, like, everything on there. Take a look through my favorites for examples.